Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Monday, November 7, 2011

72nd Email

First of all. THANK YOU to the few (3) that wrote me back after I sent out my last email.

Dia de los Muertos pretty much destroyed the week. The children here don't want candy---they want MONEY.  One family took over the entire testimony meeting and retold the same story. It was really touching the first time....but the 6th time after the daughter, son, mom, moms mom, other daughter, then the father...it didn't have the same effect. 2 came to church though, Armando came and also Adelfo. I talked with Adelfo for a solid 15 minutes about his week, pretty interesting. He's in this group of old guys like himself, about 80 or so, and they study the bible and talk about God. He said he told them all about how he has been attending the "Mormon" church and they all told him that the "Mormons" don't believe in God. He told THEM that that is "maldicho" and then told them that we are the church that he believes in most out of all other churches. Pretty cool huh. 

Tuesday I ate 6 tortas. 6 TORTAS. Do you know how ridiculous that is? That's bread, big bread, with beans, avocado, ham and grilled. Pretty much the best thing in the world. We got caught in the gnarliest hail ever....it hurt my pointer finger when I stuck it out from the little overhang sheltering me. We were pushed up someones garages getting totally soaked and pelted in our short sleeve shirts. It was sooooo legit though and the streets were covered in snow/hail, and I wanted to ski it. I ate hamburgers on divisions with Rodriguez...super good. The first half decent one I've eaten since I've been here, and french fries. God bless America. 

There was a huge leader conference this week with all the leaders and I saw all my homies and those kids from my MTC district. The pres gave a great capacitacion (training) to us all. He talked about God's plan, and the gospel of Jesus Christ, and a bunch of other things, but super in-depth in a way I hadn't thought about before. I took tons of notes. It was sweet to see all my friends again. Funny story- I was on the second floor of the offices outside talking with everyone and Elder Kenzccka and I whipped out his trumpo (a top) and I showed him the "big bertha" self-invented trick. I throw it back and it flies off the balcony and explodes...it was hilarious and we totally hid for a sec. I bought him a new one though. A WAY better one. cinco estrellas acually (five start actually). We trumpoed it up today. He's like Jordan Franks double. Tt's sweet.

We did some service this week. The best service of all time---taking apart a trampoline. obvi duh we jumped on it first. I threw down the heat. Then was feeling super good and was like...hmmm I'm gonna huck a double. So I did, and right when I left the tramp on this super awkward bounce, kinda going forward as if it was a gainer, I just thought...oh no, I'm going to eat it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAND I did.... wrecked my elbow and smashed my face into the pad and have this red mark on my nose. Luckily we got it on video so it was worth it, and I was wearing shoes... not a smart idea---heavy, and I came out of the flip early. Anyway,  I've watched the video a thousand times and I feel super lame. I have to redeem myself one of these days, but I count the blessings I didn't land a little more upright or I would have shot off the tramp into the wall. BUT if it was all on video it would still be worth it. I'll send the video in another email. We ate quesadillas too. Then we took the tramp down and drove back.

We went and played golf for p-day at a driving range, that is also the course. WEIRD. Not a good idea, especially cause I nailed the green that was 150 yards away 14 beautiful times just wrecking it.  It's the "9th" hole I think. It was legit though. They gave us these super bad clubs that we had to rent and with the sand wedge I hit it 14 times out of about 25 balls I think. We only got 75 balls and I spent my time trying to hit it over the netting wall.... with a 5 wood. It said 250 yards...but I kinda doubt that. My game was totally on today, and I was helping Kenzcka out and told him to keep his head down and stuff---all that stuff that the pro always says that always bothers me. yup. But he's super good. I driiiiiiiiiiiiiilled one super hard right at the end...and FINALLY got it over. Check out the pic though...it's friken far. I kept hitting the net and then blasted one of my last ones over. The lady there gave us this super awesome compliment in the middle of hitting. She was like--- you're not hitting them over the netting are you...and I was like noooooo lady...but thank you soooo much, that just made my day...then it was game on from there to get it over....but it only happened once. I hit the upper parts a lot, but it just wouldn't go. But, then it did. It was the best day, and we trumpoed too. and now I'm here. 

A billion things happened this week. It was loco. I've been reading my Book of Mormon a ton and am learning a lot. I should send my fave scrips but I don't have them with me to send. I will someday. I'm going to buy a trampoline so I can bring it with me everywhere when I get home. Seriously it's a nar workout. I never realized that. Peter Johnson's emails are legit...that's sweet he gets to eat ants!!! and his mish sounds so crazyyyyyyy and awesome, and I{m so glad Ross is doing so well and he sounds like he is DOMINATING Brazil. love it. Everyone else too. Ryan Barton on the Japanese TV program....best story ever, I was laughing a ton thinking about it. HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY GRAMMARY I LOVE YOU!!! I wrote you a letter and will send it tomorrow. I sent a picture of me doing the trumpo so you guys won't be confused anymore.

We had a lesson with Ana Laura this week. Luckily we caught her when her husband was home and he was a great aid in the lesson because he is inactive, the bishops brother.  It was an amazing lesson if i do say so and she even cried in her prayer at the end again. She knows its true. She didn't come to church.

Had a great lesson with Armando and ate bread after. Talked about the evangelio de jesucristo y it was muy good. He accompanied us to church on Sunday and even wore his suit. We're going to baptize him this Sunday. if all falls into place as it does in my head. We capacitated (trained) the members on Sunday....yup---kinda destroyed them but not totally. It's because everyone is so....asleep here and they don't help at all and they aren't aware that the nothing happens in the obra (work) until everyone works together in it. They don't understand how we are here to help THEM in their ward not just us do all the work. We shared some scriptures like Alma 6:6 and I described how we need to fast and pray together as a congregation to find new people...because NOBODY..maybe 3...fast here in Mexico...or maybe it's just Puebla. So they can't complain about not having a temple. Jacob 1:19 too at the end. Did a practice with them. Showed them how out of our 1400+ contacts we've had while valle del sol( WHICH I JUST REALIZED THIS WEEK MEANS SUN VALLEY!!! WAYYYYYY COOL!!!) there has been only...wait...none that have progressed to baptism, or even to the second lesson...but the 2 references we've gotten have been two baptisms. 2 of the 20 we have received, and that was 4 months ago. We only had one of those and the other was when Valle didn't have its own missionaries. and of the 20 refs we've received in 4 months only 4 have even been close to progressing but have "serious" problems and the members don't want to visit them WITH us....it's kind of ridiculous. Super ridiculous. Whatever. I don't want to talk about it anymore. I was about to whip out D&C 107:99-100 but I didn't at the end. Anyway, it's hard. obvi. Said it a million times. But we're moving along ever week, trying our best...I say this every week...but that's how it is. yup. 

I'm praying for transfers to the goma next week. please. 

live and love.

elder bertha.

hope you like my pics. wont know if you do or not though cause I never hear back about em.