Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Monday, August 15, 2011

60th Email


BTW, the meds Alex said he bought off the street was a sarcastic comment he said. (didn't catch that one!)  He bought them at the Pharmacy and they are all natural.  There were a few concerned readers:)

Today I totally climbed to the top of this huge water tower---highlight of the day. I even took a picture so I could share it with you.

We went to the most gorgeous gallery today, in this place called Tecali. The art is all Onyx and its SUPER CHEAP!!! It would be thousands of dollars but it's for like 200 bucks in the most gorgeous gallery ever. We must come back here parents, you would love it!! The art is amazing and the lamps and tables, and sculptures are GORGEOUS...it is so awesome....couldn't take pictures though cause they don't let you---and they have cameras EVERYWHERE so I couldn't even sneak it....did sneak it in the sweet catholic church we went in though. Then we went to this monastery place but it was closed so we walked around back and took a bunch more super awesome photos.  It's the OLDEST in the Americas.  It was gorgeous where we went though, back out to the country, it was so nice. The air was totally different and smelled good and it was quiet and calm and the views were gorgeous. HUGE skies. I love it. I wanna live in the country. Armando took us.  He's our new mission leader :) We go with him everywhere now, and we get A LOT more done.  He goes out and sells his fibra to farmacies, and we just contact people while he does that. It's so legit though.  We got into this one guys store, taught him a first, and committed him to baptism!!! SO cool, and this way we get to know more of our area and have people in teaching pools from different places.. :) it's the way we do it. 

So we got hit by a drive by. Intended for us too---cool huh, I felt special. I'm calling the district leader from the pay-phone outside our house and this black car comes flying by at like 30 around this turn from like 10 feet away and they all chucked LAX size rocks at us, but they weren't like rocks, it was more like fat chunks of concrete and all sharp. Nar. But with my mastery in dodge-ball skills mixed with my spiritual missionary blessings I was totally able to dodge it. I didn't really have to that much to dodge though, I just watched them pass by my face ---it's a fact that they don't have good aim. Kinda way sketch though. Couldaaaaaa done some mega-damage to the cabeza...but the Lords got my back so no worries on that :) Its a miracle. count it. 

SHARON MARONI---YOU ARE THE BEST!!! Thank you SOO SOOO SOOOOOO much for all those jelly beans!!! You have no idea...you have started me on my addiction again.  I can't pass the boxes without grabbing like 5...my 2 FAVORITE flavors too!! ahhhh they are so awesome, thank you so so soo much. And the "Belly Flopps" (the rejected jelly bellys) are the COOLEST THING EVER and I'm almost finished eating all of them :( but the best of all is that GAME!!! It is the WORST but the BEST game ever!!! I'll explain it.. so you have a little circle spinny thing and 10 of each flavor of jelly bean...but the catch is 5 of the 10 don't really taste normal. We have, like on strawberry jam its centipede, another opposite is barf, skunk spray, baby wipes, booger, pencil shaving...etc... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!! It's addictive, and hilarious cause my comp and I play every night and most of the time he pics the bad ones hahahah but I've had all the bad ones too...seriously it's gross. Skunk spray is REALLY like that and same with barf...i took it to our new neighbors house to play it last night (shes a member) and I played it with her fam and he had barf first roll thinking it was like peach or something bahhaha so nasty, he almost threw up but we MADE him swallow it...after everyone went once, and so funny cause they all picked the bad ones, they didn't want to play anymore hahaha. Ah centipede is nasty too, skunky spray is the worst. and it's from licorice--so pretty much its bad either way.  Ineed to find this game here so I can get more.  I'm thinkin it could be the ultimate fam home evening game hahah. So thanks a billion sharon :)

Oh and I got a few dear elders too, like around 20 pages. To answer some questions and comment on some...Kelly---I think it's awesome your learning Spanish, but don't learn too much cause then Bry and I can't tell secrets to each other. Peters letters are super awesome too, haven't had the double barrel shotgun or the double headed dragon yet, but how gross is this, we haven't had any water in 2 days to bathe or flush the toilet...nasty. Mexican livin for ya right there. ew. Oh and to answer your questions Kelly, I'm not ALWAYS going to have a Mexican companion, or a Latino from Peru or something, I've just been lucky enough to have Mexican or Peruvians my whole mish...cause i think it'd be kinda weird with and American and I wouldn't learn that much Spanish, and I haven't been with an American elder yet but my friend has been with the same American elder for 3 changes now----that would be terrible. I'm happy I have my little awesome Mayan man, and walking only gets you in shape for the first 3 months  but after that I think your body becomes accustomed....but we're going to start running :) There is zumba EVERYWHERE here too...so maybe I'll start doing that too :) 

Grandma Nancy, I am quite bummed I missed pioneer day...I PROMISE you I will carry the little pioneer cart next year k :) McFad...got your letter too---it was awesome thanks, glad you had a crazy awesome adventure haha. Started drinking "fibra" in the morning...it's what Armando is promoting and selling right now...kinda awesome though cause its super good for you. 

I also learned this week that I need to learn to breath better, that's what the doctor told me---she's a member and is always in the pharmacy with Armando :) I've stopped breathing with my mouth and need to do it all with my nose. After we did these little test things my hands changed cause they are really weird. Anyway, I don't know WHY i said that. I taped my mouth shut at night to only breath through my nose, but then I woke up 30 minutes later and couldn't find the tape hah but I think I breath through my nose anyways.
We met a Buddhist Jew this week, no---a Mexican Buddhist Jew...cool huh. He was really interested though and we gave him a book of mormon and pamphlets and stuff.  He's friends of the doctor and Armando. He's way cool though. He's HUGE and has super long hair. imagine. 

In terms of teaching and all that good stuff we did a lot of it this week. Had 2 FHE with people, one with 3 investigators and we watched The Testaments, which is super duper powerful. Taught a ton of lessons and helped people with all the crazy problems going on in their lives. Jose Luis CAME TO CHURCH!!! wow. 3rd times the charm. It was awesome to finally have someone who wasn't too lazy to come to church with us. The other guy couldn't and had a kinda a  valid reason. He's a newbie though, kind of a crazy, but we'll see.

Favorite new church artist (vocalist) is Mindy Gledhill---she's awesome, love it. She kinda sounds like Marissa Powell...about that...Marissa, if you get this...send me a CD :) I've only waited for like 4 years.

I started reading Jeremiah in the Old Testament---it's super interesting. I read about the millennium, final judgment, and exaltation in the gospel principals book. Read them. It was prob the most interesting thing of my week. We never really talk about the millennium that much, and I don't know why, it's ALMOST as interesting as talking about the signs of the second coming. But read exaltation too---that's an AWESOME chapter, and look up all the scripture references. I really learned a ton this week about all of those, then at church Sunday I taught the millennium in the gospel principles class.  But POR FIN the bishop is going to call a teacher to teach that class....yay. Great week though, can't really remember a lot, it was just same ole same ole knockin doors, visiting with Armando, visiting inactives (GONZALEZ fam is SO sick...i will for sure take a pic of them someday) visit members and ask for referrals that they have a hard time giving, finding, teaching, having fun doin it. I love it. totally miss the Goma Jungle though.  I'm not really a city guy, but I have to conform and be one right now... so bummed the tramp in the park isn't free. Read a ton in my BOM in español this week though, that was sweet, lyyyyyyyyyin on my awesome couch :) I love that couch. That's about it.  I wrote in my journal this week though!!! like 3 TIMES!!! So all my other cool secrets are in there :) oh and one last thing...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONICA!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

Hope it was a great one :) you SHOULD get my birthday card if my package ever gets there :) 

Thanks for all the letters and all the support from you all. It means the world. 

Elder Bertha