Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Saturday, August 13, 2011

58th Email

Sandy's comments in GREEN
This week was one of my favorites, maybe the best. Seriously I´ve just learned to realize that Mexico is SO crazy and weird and same with the mission and it is just...well CRAZY but I digggggggggggggg it and I´ve learned to love it!
So much stuff goes wrong and we are always in a hurry and pressed for time--but at the end of the day...I´m not dead so it was a good day :) REALLY I LOVE it!! It's so much fun.  The mission is the biggest testimony builder, it's full of miracles, you just gotta realize them.... it's a blast, and I totally wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now!

This week I think I met an angel here on earth. Really.....I can't even describe this man to you, nor will I try cause it's just something you have to experience for yourself....I bet you´ll never find anyone like him...but maybe. Hermano Leonardo, I think that's his name.  We ate at his house. HE is the most faithful and most wonderful of all the Lords servants on this earth I think. The most humble, hard working, helpful person I have ever met. He told us all of these miracles that had happened in his life.  He converted when he was 22 and after that, tons of stuff went crazy, but he was always firm in the faith. He told us of this one miracle when somebody tried to stab him, a drunk at night, and stabbed him in the area of the heart with this big blade. He was wearing his garments and said it only turned out to be a little cut and it hurt the next day...MIRACLE...tons of stuff like that, people tried to shoot him but their guns weren't firing and someone threw him out of the way.  I am sure this man is so close to God. He would tell us about how when he was sick all he did was ask God with faith to heal him---healed. He never was bishop but was always a counselor and knew the manual so well and told us his experiences with all the different bishops and problems. He worked in the family history department for the stake too and I think that's really where he got closer to God. He said he was so blessed cause of all the work he did there, traveling all over to get records. He also had a Job-like story where he lost his house, all his money, property, WIFE because the stake president messed up on something and they all said he, Hermano Leonardo, was guilty of. He was on suspension for 3 years and then after reading the gift of forgiveness went back and fixed everything and FORGAVE the stake president and showed his evidence to to the stake leaders that he didn't owe money and they realized their mistake and just said sorry, even after pretty much ruining his life, but he forgave. Now he can't read or see, only a blur, and goes to church EVERY Sunday, has never missed, even when he was on suspension and everything, he is ALWAYS there, he's like 80 years old now, the nicest cutest little man. He's still a painter and was painting his house when we got there. But seriously this man is the closest man to God I think I have ever met. NEVER in my life have I felt the spirit so strong just through the voice of one person. The entire time he was talking, even about random stuff, I was trying to hold back tears in my eyes because of the spirit that was present. When we left I was walking and my comp asked me what I thought about the Hermano and I said how strong I could feel the spirit and he said the same and we both agreed that that Hermano was just amazing. My companion totally felt it too, it was crazy, never in my life have I met anyone like that. Oh, and the craziest part of it all, and I really think he was prompted to say this just to make this even a more gran milagro for me---at the end he was like "when you guys get home, do as much family history work as you possibly can."... he said it though in a more powerful way. Maybe this wouldn't have been so weird but I had read my patriarchal blessing that morning, and it was the first time I've read it in like 2 months (ya, I know, that's terrible) and it puts a huge emphasis on family history work and how I will be involved in it--then this Hermano says that and ahhh it hit me so hard. I felt the spirit so strong, like SOOOOO strong...it was crazy, I loved it. Someday I´ll take you back here just to meet him, so you can see for yourselves.

Also, when we were at their house their grand daughter brought over this barbie and I TOTALLY did her hair how you do your hair sometimes mom :) It was awesome!!! and how Erica does it sometimes too and I looooooooooove it. And we ate with this other family, but the mom wasn't home and it was just these two kids that were like 10 and 9, so after waiting for like 20 mins for the mom to get home, the kids just decided to start. So they bring out a chicken to the table, and it's just a chicken.....on a plate, cooked obviously. well---not obvi cause I´m in mx. BUT anyway, since the mom wasn't there I totally STABBBED it in the middle and then told the kids i was trying to find its heart bahahahahah.  OK that's slightly disgusting! It was the funniest lunch ever, we all had the funnest time trying to figure out how to cut the thing and we all had our knives on it trying to saw its legs off. It's Super funny now though cause the kids see me at church and imitate me with fake knives in their hands and are like I´m going to find the heart hahahahhaha oh it's so greatttttttt :P Oh other thing about church. I found this candy store so I bought lollypops. wannnnnnnna know whyyyyyyyyy? cause I figure---FIRST I shall win over the children, THEN the jovens, THEN their parents and get a bazillion references!!! bahhhhhahha so its working. I secretyly distributed my lollypops to the little kids at church---just the ones I know, and it was awesome and they ALLLLLL LOVE ME NOW!!! bribery....it's how I work. :P 

Oh and I keep forgetting to talk about my companion--HE'S THE BEST!!! So how cool is this--he speaks Mayan!! Not perfectly but he is from Merida, in the Yucatan and can understand when he reads the Book of Mormon in Mayan and totally looks like a native too. But he is such a good teacher and I´m learning a ton from him. He always has this smile on his face and I´m sooooo lucky he is my comp :)

So I've kinda realized that recent converts adjusting and finding their place in the church is like a puzzle. For some it's really easy, but for others is really hard. I was looking at the difference between Esteban and Hermano Reyes, who is a RC also. Hermano Reyes was baptized like 2 months ago, but his wife and kids were members, so obviously he kinda fits more comfortable into the church here, where he has other members and friends that are his age, and already knows many through his wife. But Esteban on the other hand, it's harder for him to find his place, being older, wanting to find a companion, does not have the best relations with his family. I was thinking...it's like a puzzle of a city at night --and I hope you can understand this cause it works out PERFECTLY in my head :)  So Hermano Reyes is part of the city of a building that is easy to find, he's able to find his puzzle piece, which he is, and fit into that spot without much work and it fits perfectly, but Esteban on the other hand is like the night sky....and it's like one of those lame puzzles that the sky is solid BLACK and all the puzzle pieces too hah. So, it's going to take a lot more work and be harder to find his spot, but eventually he will. Anyway, I think it's really interesting how some acostombar better than others when they first enter the church. We are working really hard with Esteban right now to help him find his place in the church, and get or fill the identity that everyone wants. The members are really helping us too, everyone is being super nice and inviting him to do stuff. The members are really the key to all of this, so be good members. We watched the restoration with him on Tuesday and he was almost in tears telling us about his impressions during the video. He believes it all, he KNOWS it's true, and I´m so happy that he has that firm testimony starting out, it's awesome :)

Another amazing thing that happened this week too. On divisions, Elder Pineda got a call from the offices to sign something, so we had to go there. We TOTALLY got lost and took like 3 buses and waked forever....it was hilarious. Then we signed some stuff and were with the secretaries for a while, then headed back---got even MORE lost in the middle of nowhere. I asked the bus driver how much longer until we got to the margarita (where I live) and he said an hour and a half and I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAT so we got off that one to find another one, got off kinda close to the margarita---still not in my area---and were walking past the hospital up the hill and this lady yells "ELDERS ELDERS" from the hospital and comes running out. She tells us that she is not from the area, and her daughter needs a blessing super bad and her bishop hasn't shown up yet. Miracle...yes, what are the chances of us passing right at that time IN that area, that isn't even mine, after being lost for hours. The lord works in mysterious ways, and I know this time was one of those times, in a crazy totally planned from the beginning way. If we hadn't ever gone to the offices and hung out with the secretaries for a little, then gotten TOTALLY lost on the way back, none of this would have ever happened, it was planned. SO crazy, totally a miracle, and totally a testimony builder. The blessing Pineda gave was incredible, he called the angels down from heaven and ahhh it was so nar...the girl had some seriously problems going on though and I think we really were called there to give a blessing at that time...we NEEDED to get lost to do all that....so crazy how the Lord works, but so cool when you look back on it...it was AMAZING.

Also got lost with my comp this week trying to get to Little Caesars on wed night to eat dinner with the district leader and his comp---who is from Utah and is way cool too. So there are two Walmarts, and  Little Caesars is next to one of them. Well, we went to the OTHER Walmart, like not even in our zone, super far away ahhahaha and then took another bus and then walked forever and to make it better, it was raining SUPER hard....but it was alllllll worth it in the end :)) pizzzzzzzzzzza.

Knocked a TON more this week....no luck. Knocking really does nothing but I´m hoping one day the Lord will see our efforts and bless us with a convert from a knocked door. Lots of searching though, pray for us that we will find people PLEASE. The member are helping a little, we go with their references but a lot don't want anything to do with us.  ITS SWEET to see what studying does for ya. I've learned sooo much from reading Jesus the Christ and the old testament and learning a little about Mexican history and other talks with people that now I can pretty much answer all the questions people throw out at me ...its kinda totally cool, awesome, super amped that I know this stuff. 

I ate sardines this week. They kinda taste like salmon SERIOUSLY....they were big though, they weren't mini ones. 

Mexican Culture: So we knock a lot of doors, so I get to see really awesome cultural things that I will totally bring home with me. So I've knocked like 5 doors this week where the ladies that are home say they can't open the door, not like they don't want to, but they CAN'T cause its locked. THEIR HUSBANDS LOCK THEM IN THE HOUSE!! bahahah sooo I´m totally going to bring this little piece of Mexican culture home with me and when I´m all married and grown up, I´m totally going to just lock up my wife in the house so she cant escape on me...like they do.. that's like----alright right? :)

OH AND GUESSSSSSSS WHAT I FOUND!!!! A TRAMPOLINE!!! totally seshed it and did my tricks...so weird.  It was in the middle of this park and I got on it and I just FELT it all in me....it's weird.  After a year and forever I thought I would forget, but when I just step one foot on that tramp it allllll comes back. and it NEVER says in the rule book you can't do it :) so then I got off....and thinking that it was free I passed by like 2 days later and get on and start jumping and do one thing and the tortilla lady runs out and is like YOU HAVE TO PAY----pshhhhhhhh swear she was lying to me---she totally told me the other day when I asked it was free...but anyways I got off and she told me it was 10 pesos for 10 minutes---JOKE....whatever...but it was seriously the best day ever when I found that tramp and I had the HUUUUUUUUGEST smile on my face the rest of the day :))))) I LOVE TRAMPOLINES!!

GOT A TON OF TURKEY POST CARDS!!! soooooo awesome!!!

I went to the zoo today, prob the highlight of all my P-days ever. We went with the Munoz family, Turner and Rodriguez, then I called Bryan Reeves last night to invite him too...IT WAS SO COOL!! It's called Africam. you drive though and all the animals are just THERE right next to you and it looks like the wild animal park! We were driving and a monkey totally jumped on our CAR!!! and everyone freaked out but I tried to get a sweet picture of it on the roof of the car and TRIED to pet it really fast but it ran away...but I did get a pic hahaha. It was so crazy though!! They had lions and LLAMAS and rhinos and butterflies and ELEPHANTS and pretty much every animal ever...then after we went and walked around cause its like a zoo also and saw kangaroos and all these other sweet animals.  I took a TON of pictures!!! It´ll prob take 3 emails to send them all. BUT Africam----must see when you come to Puebla...ALSO they have the biggest T-Rex bones in the WORLD and they are from Chicago so they are legit, not pirated or anything. I took a pic of that too :) ah it was so awesome for reals, and it was way fun hangin out with Bryan (Pres. Reeves son) cause he's a way sick kid and we had a ton of fun....AND we went to burger king after----prob like the 5th times I've had a burger on my mission---never eat burgers in Mexico.

Here's some scriptures for your JW friends. They have this house they meet in here and its a little castle thing. It's really cute. I´ll just give ya the scriptures they love and you can figure out why they LOVE them so much---these are just some I found THIS week----I have a BUNCH. I rarely ever use it though cause I think its better just to move on and not waste my time on them if we can see they don't want anything from the start. 

Psalms 22:18 compared to John 19:24
John 8:56-58 compared to Exodus 3:14
2 Peter 1:21-22
Ephesios 4:11-14
1 Cor 3:10-11
Acts 8:37---kind of an important scripture---like all the rest in the bible...OH but they CUT THAT ONE OUT OF THEIRS.

They bother me. but i try to love them. I try to help them learn.

But anyways WEEK = AWESOME. Miracles, met and angel, SAW MY LLAMA FRIENDS!!! yesssssssssssssssssssssss. Love you all, thanks for all the letters and everything. NH, miss it, have tons of fun.

LOVE MEEEEEEEEE