Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Monday, October 25, 2010

19th Email

Last week was AWESOME. It was so much fun. I had the funniest/worst thing happen this week at one of our investigators houses though. We were at Yamil's house, the one who didn't come to church, and we were helping her move this huge chair upstairs, and after we were just upstairs, and her little son Pedrito was up there too (he's the one I always play with, and he throws pillows at me and stuff, he's the cutest little 2 year old ever hah) anyway...ok, so the ceilings just HAPPEN to be way lower than they are down stairs so I pick up Pedrito in the hall and I throw him in the air and I threw him right into the ceiling haha, more like into the smoke detector...it was not funny actually.. but then I caught him (which was way awesome cause if I would've dropped him it would've been worse) but then he looked at me for like 5 seconds and started crying...and then it was kinda awkward for like two seconds and I gave him to his mom but she was like totally laughing and yaaaaaaa it was kinda funny, awkward, sad. But, don't worry! Pedrito still loves me.  He was happy like 10 seconds later and then we started playing again...but it was like the funniest thing ever, i cant even describe it, you just HAD to be there...but i was super apologetic the rest of the time.  We taught Yamil the Word of Wisdom cause she's addddddddicted to coffee. She's a hard one because she never follows through with commitments and always makes tons of excuses, but we thought the lesson went well, but then we saw her on Friday and she had all this beer on the counter, and she was like I gave up coffee so now I can drink beer and we were like noooooooooooo, but I don't think she really cares and she was kinda joking about giving up coffee. She also didn't make it to church AGAIN cause she said she was going somewhere, its super sad. Her kids are awesome though and they all have Book of Mormons and we gave the youngest one one of those kid Book of Mormons, which are bomb and I love them because they have pictures!
 
Denise, our other investigator, is kind of a disappointment right now. We were talking with her about going to church on Sunday and Elder Rhett kinda got in an argument with her about what's more important haha, cause she said she couldn't come to church because she wouldn't be able to drive Sunday because her friend was coming down and they were going to party all night and then she wouldn't be able to drive on Sunday. So he was asking her what was more important and she knows, and said church was more important but still didnt want to give up partying for going to church on sunday. We talked to her about having fun and not getting drunk but she says shes not getting "drunk" shes just drinking "a little". She said it's just a little tequila and whisky and stuff...it's kinda sad. Then she asked if we were going to come on monday and we asked her if she was going to come on sunday and she said she couldnt, so we'll prob see her mid week next week. Hopefully she'll be able to give up drinking and stuff though.  It's crazy how many people have a problem with the word of wisdom! It's so simple and so direct, and we've seen in our recent converts like Martha and Guadalupe how much joy it's been in their lives to not be addicted to coffee anymore.  We were going to have them come with us to Yamils house but they could'nt :/ It would've been suuuuuuuper awesome I think if they could have though.
 
We helped out Karla alot this week.  We swept her driveway and helped her clean her yard. I helped hang these halloween lights around this steep hill in my church clothes and kept slipping down the hill.  Karla is the one that sells perfume out of her house, its pretty sweet, she has like EVERY perfume imaginable!! I....smell quite good in the new Perry Ellis stuff :P We've tried so much stuff there it's saweeeet. It's also awesome going over there because she speaks both english and spanish so we practice our spanish lessons as we give her new member lessons..
 
Alma finally got back from CA and we've been able to see alot of her lately. Her "husband" guy Daniel, who is illegal, still isn't too into the church, and there is no way for Alma to ever get baptized unless he moves out or they get married, which would entail him getting his papers and stuff, which is super complicated because he was kicked out last time. But I think with prayers and time Alma will figure something out and will be able to get baptized :) She loves church and is pretty much a member but isn't baptized, so pray for her :) Elder Rhett and I figured out how to make potato chips one morning and made them for breakfast, they were soooooooooooo good.
 
I finally finished First Nephi in the spanish Book of Mormon!!! It was fantastic :) and I've started on 2 Nephi...I can really understand a lot more now than before :) It's awesome, and I really think it's the gift of tongues working :)
 
Oh, we went on exchanges this week too, and Elder Nordyke and I got Elder Lyon, the one from our stake. We taught tons of lessons that day hah, it was a great day. Oh, we also had interviews with the Pres. and had a zone training that was super good.  We learned how to focus on teaching the atonement in every principle we teach. Elder Jackson (my district leader) and I paired up and role played with Sister Walked. We role played the end of lesson one, the first vision. It was a really powerful roleplay. We taught first, then Sister Walked showed us how to be more powerful while saying the first vision by slowing down....like suuuuuuuper slow. She said it and it was crazy, the spirit was so strong, she is aammmmmazing. Then Elder Jackson and I did it seperately, it was incredible, the spirit was so strong. Sister Walker almost cried :) The zone training was awesome as well. Like I said before, it was all about teaching the atonement in every principle.  The zone leaders did a pretty cool thing where they had a companionship teaching another rmissionary and every time they related something to the atonement, he got to eat a slice of peach (the missionary they picked liked peaches or somethin, it sounds weird but it was fun) :P So basically they want us to relate everything, and focus everything around the atonement.

CHURCH was the best this week!! It was the primary program! It was so funny too, cause the kids would come up and speak, and every other one was in Spanish, and then on the songs, they would sing one verse in English and one in Spanish. It was hilarious watching the non-spanish speakers during the spanish verses cause they would pretend to sing but you could totally tell.  It was so funny, and the kids were super cute. This one kid would close his eyes, like squint them, then open his mouth real wide when he would sing hahah he was prob like 3 or 4 in this little 3 piece suit hah it was hilarious, then I went to gospel principals, which was great, and I actually understood a good 90 percent of it.  I need to work on my speaking though. I can understand a ton but when I'm speaking it's kinda hard :/  Elder Rhett and I got pulled out of gospel doctrine in the middle of it to go to the primary... and we stood in front of all the little kids and we talked about missionary work for like 5 minutes and they asked us the FUNNIEST questions.  They were like "do you have a badge" and this one kid asked us if we had shirts...? random, anyways it was way fun :P I miss primary hah, Joel and I used to have the funnest time in there :P 
 
Overall, this week has been super productive and totally awesome, I've loved every second. I'm just soakin it in untill I leave for mexico, learning as much as I can from the elders here. Hoooooopefully I'll get my visa this week!! :P Pray for it!! Thanks for everything! Keep reading the Book of Mormon!! I'm almost into Alma, Mosiah is ammmmazing.  I love when they talked about finding the record of the Jaridites in I think chapter 8, it's so interesting. Reading the Book of Mormon brings so much peace, seriously, it's awesome. I love it, and I WISH I would've read it way more before my mission! But, now I have LOTS of time to study it :) and I'm loving every sec. Keep reading. Love you all!! :)
 
Love,
Elder Bertha
 
p.s. I got a flew shot and I couldnt even feel it...like at all...it was weird
 
 
hoooooopefully they call me today with my visa!!