Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

96th Email

This week was going pretty calm and then on Saturday they call us and tell us that they need a house for the missionaries  by FRIDAY because they are going to putting new missionaries in this place called TECAMACHALCO next change....do you know hoooooooow long it takes to find a house? 
It took us two weeks in Valle to find a house...so right after they called me in the morning I made a huge change in our plans and we headed out there in a matter of 30 minutes to start the grand search for the house. It took 2 hours to get out there in a bus and it is like this hole of a city in the middle of nowhere. I get out of the bus and right of the bat it's extremely obvious to me they don't like beautiful American people. I got like 2 f you gueros and a couple other comments JUST walking up to the presidency, and this one lady started saying all this weird stuff to me with her fiends in English---but I won this time and I turned around, which caught her totally off guard because I usually just blow it off because it's a waste of time to look back, and I introduced myself to her as a missionary and asked her how to get to the presidency and she was totally shocked that I talked to her and stopped being a weirdo and talked to me like a normal person. It was wonderful. After like 6 hours of searching and talking to 4 people about houses and asking 100 where they were renting. We found a perfect one in about 30 minutes and with the secretaries and the assistants we figured out the entire thing and we are moving the stuff in on Friday...hahah crazy day but it's a miracle we found a house so fast.

I also ate the BEST TORTA OF MY LIFE with milonesa, avocado, mayonesa, cheese, pina asada, and it was ridiculous...I'm sure they'll have those when we pass over to the next life, and this shake of guava and pineapple juice mixed...heavenly. Anyways, that was the craziest story of my week.

Today we went on the sketchiest most dangerous awesome adventure ever walking on these like 1 foot wide tubes like 20 feet over these water and slippery rocks. Luckily nobody fell because it would have been impossible to get them out of the canyon, and they would have, I'm pretty sure, broken an ankle or a leg falling. I took some pics but really was just trying to focus on not dying. It was totally SIIIIIIIIIIICK though and it was in Cuitcatlan, Oaxaca. It was fantastic. Great wonderful moments. 

This week we found 7 newbies so THAT was aweosme.  We went and knocked some doors in the rain and in the nice sauna like heat here....got some pit stains the size of those exercise balls. Quite fantastic. We knocked into this one guy and he is truly GOLDEN, Hugo. We knocked and he let us in and we taught this killer first lesson and he was super receptive and accepted the invitation to be baptized. We're going to see him this week. Found this WONDERFUL family too, a mom and 3 kids. Super cool kids. They were truly elect.  We knocked their house the first week here and I have NO IDEA why we have been coming back every week since then because the mom is never home and only the kids were home and they told us their mom would be back on a Sunday or something and the one time we went on a Sunday she wasn't home. It is weird though, usually if that happens,  we don't go back, because everyone says their mom is not home when the majority of the time she is---they teach their kids how to lie super young here---but we never knew the mom in the first place and only talked with the kids in front of the house and it really is super strange why we have been going back every week to knock again and again but the persistence has paid off and I believe it was the spirit leading us back every week because we really had no real reason to go back hahah and we got in and taught one of the most powerful first lessons ever, they accepted everything, and they are TRULY people in the search for truth in their life!!! It is soooooo cool!!! and I'm super excited to go back this week...the son is about 16 years old, the daughter 14 (and she totally reminds me of Megan because she is a poco locita....but in a GOOD way. :P hah and the other is like 12...they are super mature though, and that is saying A LOT for this place. They are fantastic though and I cant wait to visit them. 

So that's pretty much my week. A lot went on, but seriously I'm so dead tired right now and can't even remember the rest of the stuff we did. I HAVE been writing in my journal though :) Well, I love you all. Have a wonderful week. Oh and I was going to share this with Rosana, the lady we baptized, something I found in sacrament meeting, so I'll share it with you guys too. 3 Nephi 26:9. look it up. I'm going to share it with her because it talks about how we have to learn the basics and greater things will be manifested to us. She just wants to know it all now but is realizing there is SO much to learn. There is a TON to learn...it's totally aweosme I think. I learn new things alllllll the time from the scriptures. 

I love you all.

Elder Bertha.