Elder Alex Bertha

Elder Alex Bertha

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

44th Email

HOOOOOOOOOOLA!!!! Guess what!!! I figured out my comp is REALLY from Argentina!!! Making him 100000000000 times cooler.  I told him we could be best friends now hahahahah juuuuuust kidding :)
He lived in Chile for 10 years too and then moved here...but GET THIS!!! He wants to manage sports teams for a living so he is going to go to school for that and I was like oh hey I know someone who owns a soccer team in Chile, Horacia Mata, and I told him...HE KNOWS WHO THAT IS!!! I guess he’s kinda a big deal or something. I was like yaaaa we played tennis together a couple of times hahah it was so random and cool and funny...then another super cool thing, remember when we went on that cruise and stopped in puera vallerta and went to that SICK waterpark where there were no rules---HES BEEN THERE!!!!! cause its in guadalahara and we talked about that too...ahhhh so awesome, and wanna know another cool fact about him---played ping pong like professionally for 5 years---so I whipped out my mini ping pong set and we played some last night---ah so tight---this kids sick---AND---he’s the friken hardest worker EVER and we have been owwwwwwwwwwwwwning it this week!!! 

April 20th was DOPE ;) we knocked tons of doors, it was mega-hot and we journeyed to Juarez, a pueblo I have never been too but have always seen it on the mountain so---now that I have a say in where we go I was like "we must journey there and find the elect" so we did... so, in my mission I’ve gotten into 2 houses EVER knocking doors...this first day, we were knocking and I had this  gut feeling---I can’t describe it but I def know it was the spirit now---that we should stop, because it was late and we were going to head back, but I was like nooooo we gotta keep going, cause we were getting rejected by everyone--soooo fun, I love it--anyway we didn’t skip any doors, because I CANT, I really CANT, I feel super bad if I do, and we kept knocking and this lady, after testifying and telling her who we were was like ya sure, and she let us in...shock...hahahah but we taught this bom first lesson, set a DATE with her, and ya, it was totally sick. --- but ends up that later on in the week we dropped her cause she didn’t want it anymore cause of her husband---pshhhhh lame. Anyway, that same day after her we found ANOTHER person who let us in yeeee hahah and like ya---it was sweet...the next day I think we got let into 4 houses!!!! 4 HOUSES!!! Do you know how RARE that is!!! and it was just unreal and I’ve taught more first lessons this week than in alllll of my mission, and I feel super good about Spanish now...it’s saaaaaweet.  In total, I think we got let in to 8 houses this week...how cool is that!!?? We taught a bunch of lessons at peoples doors outside too, which is raaare, so sick!  We’ve been working sooooo hard, and its been paying off, and we have our 2 hour comp study sessions every day and do practices and I’m learning soooo much more SOOOOOo much it’s ridiculous, and we apply it to everything and ya----it works!

WATER FIGHT THIS WEEK!!!! ahhh best day of my entire mission!! I WRECKED SOME NINOS!!! I will tell you...so we couldn’t really do anything in the morning, cause everyone was in centro, so we decided that if we can’t find them, we shall join them, so we did, and we went with Alejandro to the cunata to eat that day---that’s where the BIG fight was...anyway, I left my house with a water ballon in my hand and passed this kid, who was on the other side of the street---he always sticks his tongue out at me---and he was like oh hey, are you going to get wet today and I was like mayyyyyyyybe and then this bus passed  and right after it passed I DRILLED him with this water balloon ahhahahahah it was great :)) Then we went with Alejandro and drove to the place and while we were driving, the windows were down, and these people threw this HUUUUGE bucket of water in and got us allll soaked, then we went to the cunata and right when I got out I saw this kid, about 14, and I tried to start a little water fight with him and then it started and it was super funny and we kept filling our buckets up from the river and then I got him SO good one time, from like 10 feet away, and alllll the water went on his head and I think he swallowed it all and then he didn’t want to play anymore. Then Alejandro betrayed me and hit me with one of my 20 balloons I had filled up and I ran across the river and dumped my bucket on him, then we went up next to the albercas and I got dominated by like 10 mexicans hahahahah it was like EVERYONE was against me.  It was so funny.  I got DRENCHED!!! It was the best day ever though and then we got hamburgers :) ahh great

Friday though Sunday nobody was in their houses which was  kinda slow for the work, but we managed to get like 3 lessons every day, we taught this one guy one night and after teaching him the first lesson and thinking he totally believed it, he was like no creo...hahah kinda a shock..but anyways I asked him why he didn’t have a thumb...yaknow how sometimes its awkward to ask people why they don’t have body parts...well that all changed for me in college when Haleigh and I had just gotten out of class at the salt lake center and I was like should I ask him why he doesn’t have a leg...and then finally I decided to just ask...and ---coolest story hah so now I ask EVERYONE haha and they all like sharing, so I asked this guy and he got it caught in a machine and it just got ripped off...prob wasn’t as gnarly as that picture I saw at the Johnson’s house from one of their friends who got his hand kinda ripped off, but I’m thinking it was pretty nasty...he said it was super hard for the first 3 months not having a thumb but after that it was all good haha, and he does these super funny tricks too.   He pretends it’s up his nose and does that other hand pull off thumb trick but its really not there which makes it even funnier...ya...just something weird that I liked this week. 

We talked to SO many people, we had 35 contacts.  One day our numbers were unreal for this area, 19 other lessons, 10 new people, and 11 bap invitations hahaha so amped, most of them fell thought already but I’m hoping at least like 3 will stay.

Other weird thing...walked by this store and all these old people were sitting outside and in the background of the store was blasting the old Eminem album ahhaah something funny to look at.

My comp is awesome and all, but he’s kinda a slow walker...but the hills are huge so I bet in a month he’ll get better, but I just wish I had someone like Nick Allegretti here cause he’s a lightning walker and is always telling me how he loves to walk so fast... oh and in his email I wrote him, I said "exercise my FAITH" not agency :), just in case you read his email he sent quoting me.  Man, I love that child Nick. 

I saw my police man friend on the street.  We taught he and his wife one time, but she was the one that gave us the Book of Mormon back and was super rude, but I see him all the time in the street and say hi...hah but he comes over and I was like when are they gonna give you a gun, and whipped out my water gun---pshhh he’s prob so jealous...but I guess he doesn’t get one.

I gave a talk in church this week about visiting menos activos and everything and the apoyo of the members.  I used you mom and shared how you visit teach that inactive member and now you guys are super good friends and stuff and how the members need to get out and maybe they’ll make some new friends they thought they’d never make and stufff....oh and I only realized it was Easter when I got to church and the president said it was haha totally forgot...did nothin special--there were a TON of Catholics all over the streets. 

Grammary, thank you so much for the letter with the Hoover Dam bridge thing, it’s like SUPER cool and I totally read all of it.   I muuust go there someday.  Who sent the "did I tell you?" book? It didn’t have a name. G-Nancy thanks for your package and all the food and the yogurt raisins AND the gospel principles hahaha mom she sent me one too!! :) so now I have two.  I got your guys HUUUUUGE package, the president said he had a surprise for me in the ramma and I went there and there was this gigantic package with 5 packages in it.  I was so happy, I opened them for 3 days to just look forward to it at night.  I’ve been making BOMB pb&js with that CHUNKY peanut butter ahhhhh it’s heavenly, and the gatorade power is the best and I use it ever sinnnnnnnngle day and red vines---I’m addicted.  I totally repped the blow up tie at church and they thought it was super funny and I could TOTALLY use it to sleep on in church...which I...might...do someday when I get back :) ahhh everything was just so awesome, you guys are seriously the best. Thanks for all the dear elders and I got some fantastic letters from friends. I LOVE you all...

I’m having a blast...being super obedient, it’s SO much fun finally being the "leader" in a way cause if you want to, you can work so much harder and get SO MUCH MORE DONE!!!! And we DEFINITELY want to and we ARE.  This week has really been incredible and I’ve never worked harder or been more obedient and truthfully, I’ve never been more happy in all of my mission, and this is the way I want it to be until I leave here---IN ALMOST A YEAR-- I love this work and know how important it is. I love the Lord. My testimony has grown sooo much and I’ve learned and grown more than ever.  The mission is amazing and I count myself SO blessed to be out here. Thanks a BAAAAAAZILLION for all the letters, love and the tons of support from EVERYONE!!! I love you allll!!!

Elder BERTHA

oh I got Scotts email...pshhh it’s SO weird that when he was speaking English they thought it was funny cause they totally thought he was Latin American, cause it’s the SAMMMMMMME THING WITH MEEE!!! It’s like---when I speak English---they’re like---you’re not Mexican!! psh weird we experience the same things.